Friday, October 2, 2009

Important Questions Jesus Asked About Himself

In a discussion on marriage, my parish priest, Father Jim Taranto, brought up three important questions we should think about regarding our spouse or spouse-to-be. Jesus was asked many questions, He answered many questions and raised many questions in order to teach his followers. But Jesus asked very few questions about himself. Here are three:

1) Who do you say I am?

In Matthew 16:15, Jesus asks Peter: "Who do you say I am?"

We all have perceptions of who we really are. But how does the people closest to us perceive us?

Peter answered Jesus: "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

We are not. We are all made in God's image. We may be Christian but we all sinners, we are all mortal and make mistakes. Have you forgotten your spouse's good qualities? Have you forgotten the many things they are to you? Who do you say they are to friends and family?

Also remember, with the people we love and are closest to, we tend to focus on the 20% not-so-good qualities in them instead of the 80% good.

2) Do you truly love me?

  • John 21:15: When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
  • John 21:16: Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."
  • John 21:17: The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.
Although it hurt Peter's feelings, Jesus asked him three times if he loved him. This parallels the three times Peter would deny Jesus the night he was arrested (Matthew 26:69-75).

Even Jesus needed reassurance how much he was loved. So why we would be any different?

3) Will you leave me too?

In John Chapter 6, Jesus said:

"I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever."" John 6:53-58

On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?" John 6:60

Sadly,

From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. John 6:66

"You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve. John 6:67

When your spouse loses a job, loses popularity or says something that is difficult for you to accept, are you going to leave them physically and/or emotionally?


Two More Important Questions

In addition to the three above, I came up with two more important questions

4) Why have you forsaken me?

When Jesus was dieing on the cross

  • Mark 15:34: And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

When we are in pain, when we are sick or if we are ever stricken with a terminal illness. Or when the world comes toppling down on your spouse's head: Will you be there for them? In sickness and in health and until death do us part?


5) Who touched me?

  • Luke 8:45: "Who touched me?" Jesus asked. When they all denied it, Peter said, "Master, the people are crowding and pressing against you."

In this instance, a woman with a bleeding disorder sought out Jesus in a crowd. She had been to many doctors and suffered with this bleeding disorder for 12 years. She touches Jesus's cloak and was healed instantly.

In times of peril and troubles in your marriage, remember who came into your life in this crowded world we live in. Remember who touched you.

And what Jesus did say to the woman with the bleeding disorder?

  • Luke 8:48: Then he said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace."

Remember who can heal all wounds and stop the bleeding.

And remember who had faith in YOU.

I guess the most important question to ask yourself about your spouse or spouse-to-be:

Do you see Jesus in them?


Peace be with you,


© Michael J. Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment